Year 4 Hedgehogs
Welcome to Year 4 Hedgehogs
Hello and welcome to the Hedgehogs webpage. This year Mrs Malik will be teaching the Hedgehogs, supported by Miss Valimulla. Although the children will be working very hard this year, they will also be learning many fun and interesting facts and skills which will stay with them forever.
This webpage is here to help you find out all the information you need to know about what the children in Year 4 Hedgehogs will be learning this term. A good idea is to use this as a reference point to make discussions with your child about what they have been learning at school.
This term our English will be taught through the theme 'The Art of Food'. We will be using the story 'The Balaclava Boy' which looks at 'issues and dilemmas' and this will support us to write our own issues and dilemmas story. For our non-fiction unit, we will be exploring persuasion and focusing on how persuasion is used in adverts to support us in writing a persuasive piece of work. Throughout this term we will focus our reading on exploring the meaning of key vocabulary in the context of the text and will also apply our handwriting skills daily.
In Maths we will be looking at:
* Multiplying 3 digit numbers by a 1 digit number.
* Dividing 2 digits by a 1 digit number.
* Comparing Area.
* Subtracting two fractions.
It would be very helpful if children could continue to work on their times tables up to 12 x 12.
In Science we are learning about ‘Teeth and Digestion’. Within this topic we will learn about:
* The simple functions of the basic parts of the digestive system in humans.
* Different teeth and their functions.
* Food chains
* How to keep teeth and gums healthy.
In Art we are learning about ‘Still Life’. Within this topic we will learn about:
* Different artists and craftspeople.
* Creating textures with charcoal, pencil, crayon and pastels.
* Developing 2-D drawing to 3-D drawing and sculptures.
In Computing we are learning about:
* Data handling using different databases and spreadsheets.
* Images and texts using PowerPoint.
Useful websites you may want to visit: