Year 4 Hedgehogs
Welcome to Year 4 Hedgehogs
Hello and welcome to the Hedgehogs webpage. This year Mrs Malik will be teaching the Hedgehogs, supported by Miss Valimulla. Although the children will be working very hard this year, they will also be learning many fun and interesting facts and skills which will stay with them forever.
This webpage is here to help you find out all the information you need to know about what the children in Year 4 Hedgehogs will be learning this term. A good idea is to use this as a reference point to make discussions with your child about what they have been learning at school.
This term our English will be taught through the theme 'Passport to Europe'. We will be using the story 'Gulliver's Travels' as our Novel for a theme and this will support us to write our own story. For our non-fiction unit, we will be exploring Non-chronological reports about the planet Earth. Throughout this term we will focus our reading on exploring the meaning of key vocabulary in the context of the text and will also apply our handwriting skills daily.
In Maths we will be looking at:
* Decimals fraction for tenths and hundredths
* Dividing 1 digits by 10 and 100.
* Converting between different units of measure.
It would be very helpful if children could continue to work on their times tables up to 12 x 12.
This half term in Geography we are going to be learning about Europe and closely looking at Paris, focusing on:
- Locating the Basin as a region and Paris as the capital city on a map.
- Geographical features such as the River Seine.
- The regions climate and vegetation.
- Comparing and contrasting Paris/ Basin with Blackburn/Lancashire.
In Art we are learning how to collage using different materials.
In D.T we will be creating a passport cover. We will learn:
- The purpose of a passport cover.
- The importance of designing and creating a prototype.
- How to sew using different materials.
Useful websites you may want to visit: