Hello and a warm welcome to the Hedgehogs webpage This year Miss Munshi will be teaching the Hedgehogs, supported by Miss Valimulla and Mrs Rhodes. Although the children will be working hard this year, they will be learning many fun, fabulous and fascinating facts and skills which will stay with them forever.
This webpage is designed to help you find out all the information you need to know about what children in Year 4 Hedgehogs will be learning this term. A good idea is to use this as a reference point to make discussions with your child about what they have been learning at school.
This term our English will be based on Oliver Twist to enable children to write stories with historical settings. Like all text types we will begin by identifying the features of the text and then create our own story with a historical setting by implementing these. For our non-fiction text type children will learn to write instructions.
Throughout this term we will focus our reading on summarising all or parts of texts and apply our handwriting skills daily.
In maths we will be looking closely at how maths is used in our daily lives. As well as this the topics we will cover this term are:
* comparing the place value of 4 digit numbers.
* additions and subtraction of 4 digit numbers using the column method
* properties of shapes.
* Fractions – dividing by hundreds and tens.
It would be very helpful if children could continue to be asked what time it is in 12 hour and 24 hour clock times
In Science we are learning about ‘Sound’. Within this topic we will learn about:
* To observe and name a variety of sources of sound.
* To notice that we hear with our ears.
* To identify how sounds are made, associating some of them with something vibrating.
* To find patterns between the volume of a sound and the strength of the vibrations that produce it. * To identify similarities and differences between sounds made in different ways.
In History we are learning about ‘Local Victorians’. Within this topic we will learn:
* learn about their local area in Victorian times
* compare fiction with primary evidence
* think about continuity and change to an area over time
* study an aspect or theme in British history that extends their chronological knowledge beyond 1066.
As part of the wider opportunities program, year 4 children will continue receiving brass instrument lessons every Friday. The children will use their skills in a class performance for the school on Friday 24th November.
Children will have P.E. every Monday when they will be learning dance. Please ensure children have their full P.E. kits in school on this day and that jewellery is removed in order for them to participate safely.
Over the course of the year your child will receive weekly spellings based on different spelling strings and rules. Although the bulletin has stated Monday to be the 4HH spelling day children will receive a new set of spellings based on our spelling lessons every Friday and will be tested on these the following Friday this term.
In addition to spellings and reading, your children will be given both English and maths homework every week. This will be handed out every Wednesday and is due the following Monday. Children not handing in all homework on time, will be sent to the homework drop in - during lunch time.
Finally, if you have any questions at all please feel free to speak to me after school or call the office to arrange an appointment.
Click on the links below to read our autumn 2 bulletin and curriculum overview, and some useful websites children can learn from and interact with too.