Year 5 Panthers
Welcome to the Year 5 Panthers!
My name is Miss Priestley and I am delighted to be teaching the Year 5 Panthers this year. Mrs Mulla will also be helping us in Year 5. At the bottom of our class page, you will find lots of important information such as our class bulletin, homework grid, curriculum overview and lots of useful websites to support learning.
* PE - Our PE day is Wednesday, however, it is important that PE kits are in school at all times.
* School Library - The Panthers are timetabled to visit the school library every Wednesday lunchtime. Don't forget to pick up a loyalty card for the chance to win a new book from the SMSJ bookshop!
* Homework is given out every Thursday and should be returned on Monday. All children have a homework book with a homework grid for the half term. Homework includes: home reading (3 parent signatures required), spellings (test every Monday), TTRockstars and one other piece to be completed.
Our value this half term is RESPONSIBILITY. Don't forget to complete your values task at home - it could be included on our next newsletter!
This half term, we will be learning...
This half term we will be studying the text 'Beowulf' by Michael Morpurgo through a range of exciting speaking and listening, reading and writing activities. We will be striving to write and present our very own story based on a legend.
This half term Year 5 will be completing some excellent pieces of writing. In our writing we will be focusing on using vocabulary, tone and expression to consciously engage the reader. We will also be using time adverbials to increase the cohesiveness of our writing. These pieces of writing could be based on an exciting event that has happened, a video clip, music or an exciting imaginary setting or character.
This half term we will be covering the following areas in our Maths lessons.
- Place Value- including rounding and Roman Numerals
- Addition and Subtraction- formal methods
- Multi- step addition and subtraction problems
Our topic for this half term is 'A United Kingdom'. In geography we will be researching human and physical features of our country, such as the River Thames and Snowdonia. We will also be becoming weather reporters! Writing our own report on the weather of a Capital City within the UK.
In history we will be looking at who were the Anglo Saxons and where did they originate from? We will also be looking at their cultural, economic, military, political, religious and social history.
Our topic for this half term is 'Material Properties'. We will be investigating different materials, their properties and how their states can or perhaps cannot be changed. We will also be investigating thermal insulators, such as a thermos flask. In addition we will be investigation different materials suitability for a spoon that is used with hot food.