Maths at St Michael with St John
Here at St Michael with St John C of E Primary School, we believe mathematics teaches children how to make sense of the world around them through developing their ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. All children engage in daily mathematics lessons, which include mental and written maths activities. We plan thoroughly for a variety of activities which extend children’s skills and understanding of number, place value, geometry, statistics and investigative work. Children become confident in using mathematics in a broad variety of real life situations and in using a range of strategies to solve problems. There are many resources in school to support our teaching of mathematics. ICT and Mathletics are also used as effective tools to further enhance children’s learning.
At St Michael with St John C of E Primary School, our objectives in the teaching of mathematics are:
- To promote enjoyment of learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion;
- To promote confidence and competence with numbers and the number system;
- To develop the ability to solve problems through decision-making and reasoning in a range of contexts;
- To develop a practical understanding of the ways in which information is gathered and presented;
- To explore features of shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts;
- To apply mathematical skills and knowledge to a range of situations;
- To help children understand the importance of mathematics in everyday life.
We are following the programmes of study for mathematics from the National Curriculum. The link below will provide more information. Detailed schemes of work may be viewed in school on request.
The Mathematics Progression Document
The mathematics progression document below is organised into different mathematical areas. It is further arranged into columns for each year group.
This is followed by the Medium Term Plans for each year group. These specify the objectives taught per week throughout the year. Find out what children are learning about by clicking on the individual document links below.
Year 1 -Year 6 Yearly Overviews
Year 1 - Year 6 Medium Term Planning
The SMSJ Times Table Challenge
This year, we launched The SMSJ Times Table Challenge. The Challenge involves children learning a range of multiplication and corresponding division facts which they are then tested on. There are 18 Challenges in total and children are awarded a certificate each time they complete a Challenge. We hope the Challenge will support children at SMSJ in learning and recalling multiplication facts with confidence.
SMSJ Maths Morning
Last year we had lots of parents joining us for our termly Maths Mornings. We will be arranging more of these for the coming year and hope to see lots of you there. More information to follow.
Here are a few links to websites with useful mathematical support.