Year 6 Lions
Welcome to the Year 6 Lions!
A massive 'well done' to all those using Google Classroom this week. There have been a few teething issues but you've all stuck at it.
As everybody in the class can now access Google Classroom, all lessons and work will be accessed through there.
Starting from Monday 18/01/21, you must be ready to log into Google Meetings at 9am and have equipment ready to do Flashback 4. Registration will be taken. Anyone missing, will be reported as absent from school. If you are genuinely ill, your parents must inform the office before 9am.
* PE - Our PE day is Friday this term and you will need to wear your PE kit (joggers and a school jumper are fine) and trainers to school.
* Water bottles - There will be no cups in class. Please bring a suitable water bottle which will be kept at your table. The bottle must be taken home and cleaned each night.
* Homework is given out every Friday and should be returned to be completed by the following Friday. All children have a homework book with a homework grid for the half term. Homework includes home reading (3 parent signatures required), spellings (test every Friday), TT Rockstars and one other piece to be completed.
Meet the Teacher
Unfortunately, due to the current situation, I have been unable to meet you in person. Here is a short video to give you some key messages about Year 6 Lions.
Please feel free to contact me using the form at the bottom of this page or call the school office. I look forward to meeting you in person in the not too distant future!
This half term, we will be learning...
Our value this half term is Wisdom. Throughout this half term, we will be gaining a greater understanding of what Wisdom means and we will be listening to and responding to a range of bible stories that teach Christians about the importance of this value.
Don't forget to complete your values task at home - it could be included on our next newsletter!
This half term, we will be studying the question "What matters most to Christians and Humanists?"
We will also be answering 'Big Questions', which give us the opportunity to discuss and debate open-ended questions that have many possible answers. These questions broaden our thinking, acting as a springboard to new ideas and opinions.
This half term, we will be focusing on Older Literature. We will be studying Macbeth by William Shakespeare.
In the second half of the half term, we will be focusing on Hybrid Texts as our non-fiction unit.
This half term, we will be accessing Reading Plus on a weekly basis. The aim is for every child to complete a minimum of 5 reading sessions per week. Most of these sessions will be completed in school, however it would be extremely beneficial for children to be accessing it from home on a weekly basis as well. The aim of this programme is to improve children's reading and comprehension skills, by quickly adapting to meet the exact needs of every child.
In maths, we will be focusing on Geometry (position and direction) and Decimals. This will be underpinned by a weekly arithmetic lesson. Please ensure that your child has secure knowledge of the times-tables up to twelve multiplied by twelve, alongside the corresponding division facts. These should be practised at home on a regular basis through Times Tables Rockstars. In addition to this, it is also essential that children can quickly and accurately recall other basic maths facts:
- properties of 2D and 3D shapes
- conversions between different units e.g. grams to kilograms
- conversions between equivalent fractions, decimals and percentages
- properties of different angles
- roman numerals
- how to calculate the area and volume of shapes
- cube and square numbers
- prime numbers
- multiples and factors of different numbers
- how to calculate the area and perimeter of shapes
- the meaning of mathematical vocabulary e.g. unit fraction, composite number etc.
The maths knowledge organisers and fact sheets (which can be downloaded from the bottom of this page) are a great way of learning the knowledge that is required of Year 6 students.
Our Science topic this half term is 'Animals Including Humans'. Please make sure that your child learns all the vocabulary definitions and facts that are listed on their Knowledge Organiser (see documents below), so that they are fully prepared for their Science lessons.
This half term we will be having catch up sessions, which will ensure that any gaps in children's knowledge are addressed quickly. This will enable our children to fully access the year 6 curriculum and make good progress.